Sunday, November 9, 2014

November 6th Observations

I decided to begin my November 6th Observations by attempting to locate the organisms that I have identified over the past couple weeks.  The first I was able to find was the Dero Vagus sp (Pennak, fig. 11G) which I identified during my October 30th observations.  I located one in the vicinity of the bladderwort and three around the moss; one of which was very inactive and may be close to death.

I was able to locate dozens of Euchlanis sp (Pennak, pg 171, fig 2) which I identified during my first observations.  They were mainly in the vicinity of the bladderwort.

There were three different Euplotes (Patterson, fig 260) that I came across.  Two were very active and one appeared dead.

I observed what was probably the same Limnias (Donner, fig. 72) that I observed last week along with a second attached in the same area of the bladderwort.

The only organism I was not able to locate was the Litonotus sp (Patterson, fig. 285).  In my first observations I located several of these.  It is possible that they required something from the water source that was not transferred over to the micro-aquarium.  However, it is more likely that I simply could not find them.

Chaetonotus sp

I was able to identify one new organism this week.  There were several of the Chaetonotus sp (Pennak, fig. 7) in the vicinity of the bladderwort close to the soil.  They "swim" at a constant pace until they run head first into each other or another organism; at which time they shoot, like a space ship going into warp speed, in the opposite direction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment